Wednesday, September 10, 2008

How is it in this day of modern technology that we can do all these wonderful things and make new inventions to make life easier and all that, yet we haven't figured out how to be able to help people who need medications get them without having to sell their soul.

Here in australia a drug addict can go into a designated spot and get all the needles and paraphernalia they need to shoot up their drugs for free yet a diabetic has to pay for the exact same needles that deliver them the hormones they need to live. I know drug addiction is an illness but what makes them more specal that they can kill themselves for free while others have to pay for the privilege of living.
So many people i speak to talk about stretching out their medications as long as they can cause they cant afford to get a new prescription filled. As a consequence their quality of life is diminished cause they are living in pain or with destructive processes going on in their bodies.
Is it just me or do others find this so very morally wrong???? I know people have to make a living and it costs money to develop these drugs but when people become sick through no fault of their own cant someon cut them a break.
I am lucky i still work. I can afford my medications at the moment. However this is a life long thing. What will happen when i retire and dont have the income i have now? Will i have to weight up which meds i can and cant afford?
There should be a better solution to this. Its not right that people have to go without when others get things handed to them on a platter.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I understand completely where you are coming from. I can afford my meds now, but what about after transplant? I have estimated that my meds will cost somewhere around $300-400 US dollars a month. The sad thing is that after transplant I HAVE TO TAKE THOSE MEDS EVERY SINGLE DAY or I will die. I can't even skip a dose. Scary.

I am glad you started a blog. I will add you to my blogroll. Isn't it great to have a journal of your thoughts, concerns, triumphs, and set backs? I am doing it in hopes to let others know that they are not alone and hopefully I can help them.